Friday, February 1, 2013
After burrowing into my research to begin to nail down some of my evidence, I began trying to write what I had just reviewed and wound up with 569 semi-coherent words. Or rather 569 words, grouped into semi-coherent paragraphs. It's difficult to lay out the evidence clearly without getting list in a maze of explanations as to why I think I have found the right person who was Minnie's brother John and how to track people from house to house via directories and censuses when the street names have changed. But this feels like a good start, and I feel more confident about my conclusions as I write.
It's Day One of the challenge. I'm committing to writing at least half an hour a day. This morning I plan to print out my Ancestry data on Minnie and her siblings. I know I will need to nail down exactly why I think I have identified the right John McElroy as her brother. I'll need to lay out the year by year details of siblings' passenger arrival records, city directories, census records, consistent occupation, and that interesting birth record.